Saturday, May 8, 2010

Day 341: M. Hulot's Holiday (1953) - Rank 3.5/5

Photobucket

The adventures of Monseuir Hulot have often been cited as the source for countless, social misfits in cinema - from Mr. Bean to Ernest P. Worrell. Writer/director/star Jacques Tati has also been credited as an innovator in the comedy field. This all in mind, I was a bit surprised at how little I found myself laughing aloud. I'd expected to be seized in a fit of apoplectic guffawing at least once in the film, but no dice. Instead, I found myself more fascinated at how the entire plot was one giant Rube Goldberg device, with not only the principal players, but every extra involved having some schtick that interacted with the larger tale. Again, the foibles of all involved were never slapstick nor witty (the film possessing very little spoken dialogue), but despite this, I did have a smile on my face the entire time. So to call the film one of the funniest movies ever made is a gross misjudgment, but to call it one of the most endearing films, I feel, would be quite apropos.

Watch the Trailer

No comments:

Post a Comment