Friday, April 24, 2009

Day Ninety: The Burning (1981) - Rank 3.5/5

<span class=

An individual at a camp is horribly scarred and allegedly killed. Woe and surprise to the counselors of the secluded camp when he comes back and methodically starts killing them in grisly and elaborate ways. No, I'm not referring to "Friday the 13th," but rather a film that's clearly riding on its coattails. Namely, "The Burning."

It only takes viewing the trailer to realize that the film is a blatant ripoff of its successful predecessor. However, despite this lack of originality, I found "The Burning" to be more enjoyable. For those who know me, the explanation is simple: there's a bevy of character actors in the roles of the counselors; actors who were unknown at the time, but are well known by me and few others at this time (congratulations). Jason Alexander is seen with actual hair! Holly Hunter actually looks attractive! And Fisher Stevens isn't running around with an Indian accent...which is actually kind of a shame. Plus, you factor in some gore that's obviously tongue-in-cheek by splatter king Tom Savini and you've got a great way to kill an hour and a half. There's nothing original - just slash and burn, so to speak - but it flies by a heck of a lot quicker than the occasionally tiresome "Friday the 13th."

Some friends and I broke in my new fire pit while watching this on my makeshift drive-in screen. My pal Eagle unwittingly caught his shoe on fire. The irony of the situation was as delicious as the hot dogs we were grilling.

Watch the Trailer

No comments:

Post a Comment