Friday, April 24, 2009

Day Ninety-One: Dr. Horrible's Sing-Along Blog (2008) - Rank 4/5

<span class=

Let me preface this by saying that I'm not a Neil Patrick Harris fan by any means. His cameos in the Harold and Kumar films garner a lot of guffaws by others, but I find myself thinking, "Meh." He seems to carry an air of smugness about him akin to that which I perceive from Ryan Reynolds - a vibe that says: "This scene is now funnier just because I am present in it, and I acknowledge that you feel the same"...or something like that. I can't say why, but he just rubs me the wrong way. So when I had this recommended to my by my friend Jeff, I was naturally reticent. That's why he forced me to watch it at gun point (I'm dead serious on that one).

I hate to admit it, but it was actually pretty damn good for a direct to Internet/DVD short film (it's presented in three installments at fifteen minutes each). The dialog is sharp and witty, and the songs are actually catchy. Not an infectious, stuck-in-your-head-for-the-rest-of-the-day sort, but toe-tapping all the same. That distinction sounds stupider upon reflection than it did while I was typing it. But I've gone too far, I can't go back now. The strength of the script is undoubtedly due to the fact that it is written by "Firefly" creator Joss Whedon. It should come as no surprise that an individual who excels at integrating the old west with science fiction would be able to parody superhero films and musicals at the same time. There are talks of a feature-length version, but I'd be skeptical of that. While the film holds up well at 45 minutes, at an hour and 45, it might seem as if the novelty is long played out.

Watch the Trailer

No comments:

Post a Comment