Thursday, March 19, 2009

Day Fifty-Five: Nothing But Trouble (1991) - Rank 3/5

Photobucket

Considering this film was written and directed by Dan Aykroyd, all I can say is: that guy can be pretty fucked up. The plot doesn't make much sense; Chevy Chase and Demi Moore (whose performances often come off as stilted in the film) are a couple arrested in the small town of Valkenvania and are brought to the local justice of the peace. The 106 year-old Judge Valkenheiser sentences the couple to a stay in his courthouse/prison/funhouse and generic antics ensue. Despite this seemingly blase storyline, I found something endearing about the film. I think it was that I felt a bond to Aykroyd.

Photobucket

It's clear to me that Aykroyd tapped into what I refer to as his "inner Callus," named after my freakish alter ego Callus (if you're genuinely unfamiliar of whom I speak, check it). It's when you allow an entertainingly grotesque character to come forth, conquering any shred of your real personality and disturbing all around you. Some other that would serve as prime examples for undergoing this transformation would be Mike Myers as Goldmember in "Austin Powers in Goldmember," Danny Devito as the Penguin in "Batman Returns" and Amy Sedaris as Jerri Blank in "Strangers with Candy." (Ayllene Gibbons deserves a definite honorable mention as Mrs. Joyboy in "The Loved One," though I have a terrible feeling that her role wasn't far from the truth).

Judge Valkenheiser crashes about in his motorized chair, mutters incessantly and devours foods in the most disgusting manner possible. Aykroyd seeks out to make you laugh because you feel uncomfortable when watching his character. Since that same, basic concept was what I had in mind when I created "Callus' Birthday Party," I completely appreciate what Aykroyd set out to do. When I think about the film we could make with our crazed egos put together, the mind reels. Heck, he's not really up to much right now. Maybe he'd be down. Though upon meeting him and discussing the film, I would have to ask what on earth was up with the two, fat twins...ugh...

Watch the Trailer

No comments:

Post a Comment