Sunday, March 15, 2009

Day Fifty-Three: Mo (aka Boxer's Omen) (1982) - Rank 5/5...or 1/5

Photobucket

Upon reflecting about this film, I'm reminded of the words of writer/director Alejandro Jodorowsky when he said: "I ask of film what most North Americans ask of psychedelic drugs." Certainly, if you've ever seen any of his films, be it "El Topo" or one of my personal favorites, "The Holy Mountain," you know him to be a man of his word. But "Boxer's Omen"...my God...Okay, I won't lie. I watched this for the first time while down and out with a merciless virus...with a fever...and on a lot of Nyquil Hardcore Sinus PM...with extra drowsiness. Still, to label this film as a fever dream is an understatement and to dismiss my addlement as a product of an over-the-counter drug-induced delirium can only be considered a cop out. There aren't enough drugs in the world to help process this film.

This is one of the most bizarre films I've ever seen - so much so that I have no clue what it was about. The best I could interpret is it's about a boxer who loses a match, becomes the reincarnation of a monk killed by black magic, defeats a witch and then goes back to normal at which point he wins the rematch...I think. The movie comes back to me in fragments like a bad dream. Your mind does it's best to suppress what it saw, but chunks keep floating to the surface of your conscious like flotsam on the water's surface. There was the monk covered in moving Chinese symbols, the floating, glowing, upside-down "V" that pulsed as it taunted you, two different bat skeletons in different locations both controlled by a man rhythmically tapping bones and spitting, a shrieking demon that emerges from a puddle of vomit, lots of glowing eyes and blood...

This is one of the worst and most incomprehensible movies ever made (hence the 1 out of 5) or one of the most brilliant movies ever made, because I cannot fathom its meaning (hence the 5 out of 5). If you want to split the difference and call it 3/5, you can. Either way, SEE IT! You won't believe your eyes. I'm done with this thing, now.

Check out a Trailer/Film Clip

1 comment:

  1. Hah. We need this as a midnight. Even if its just the dvd.

    ReplyDelete